Troll peninsula – a winter wonderland
Iceland is truly a world-class destination for backcountry ski touring, with vertical descents of up to 1500m or almost 5000ft, leading all the way down to the Arctic ocean. This two day backcountry ski course is perfect for those who want to enjoy the magic of North Iceland and gain insights to the wonders of ski touring under the guidance of an experienced ski guide.
Our country hotel Sóti Lodge is hugged by majestic mountains, so there is no need to go far from the lodge to find your perfect slope. A nourishing breakfast provides the fuel for mountain adventures. After a fine day of backcountry skiing, we make sure you get to relax with a hot beverage or a cold beer while sharing stories from the day’s ski adventure. Each room has a private bathroom and shower, and of course, the geothermal swimming pool is just a few steps from the lodge for all to enjoy. In the evenings we offer a three-course dinner with locally sourced ingredients.
The ski touring initerary
In this course, we will focus on skiing in Fljótin and Siglufjörður at the tip of Troll peninsula.
We start the first day with backcountry skiing in Fljótin, in close proximity to Sóti Lodge. Magnificent valleys cut into this fjord, making it the perfect ski touring area. The first ski tournament in Iceland was indeed held in Fljót in 1905, on a slope facing Sóti Lodge.
On our second day we will start at Siglufjörður and end back in Fljótin, after crossing one of the passes that provided the main transportation routes in older times.
Our goal at the end of each trip is to make sure our guests feel re-nourished in body and soul, physically tired and emotionally energized after good days in the mountains – and waiting to repeat the experience.
- All meals for the duration of the trip (from dinner at arrival to lunch on your last day)
- Experienced mountain guide
- Two nights premium accommodation at Sóti Lodge, private bathroom and shower
- Access to Barðslaug, the local geothermal pool (next door to the hotel)
- Backcountry skis and equipment (skins, backpack, helmet, poles, shoes)
- Personal Travel Insurance
- Alcoholic beverages
- 25. – 27 March SOLD OUT
- 1. – 8. SOLD OUT
- 8.-10. April
- 22.-24. April
- 89.500 isk / 689 USD per person – With two in a room
- Do you want to arrange a private trip for your group/family? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
For whom is this trip suitable?
- This trip is suitable for everyone in good physical condition and intermediate backcountry skiers. The ski guide will make sure that the speed and slopes fit everyone in the group.
What to bring
- Backcountry skis (Skis or split-board) and equipment (skins, crampons, poles, helmet, googles)
- Avalanche equipment (Shovel, pole, beacon – make sure it works and has fresh batteries)
- Backpack (min. 32l, w/ski-carrying system)
- Wind- and waterproof jacket
- Wind- and waterproof pants
- Woollen underwear
- Gloves (thick and thin gloves)
- Water bottle
16:00 – 18:00: Gather at Sóti Lodge
18:00: Meeting with your guide. Talk about days ahead, weather, and gear
10:00: Departure (packed lunch in a backpack)
10:30: Avalanche safety training
11:00: Departure to the mountains. The mountains that surround the Fljótin region are our destination. The valley has been known to hold some of the best snow – our goal is the find the best slopes.
16:00: Arrival at Sóti Lodge. Free time to relax in the pool after a good day in the mountains.
18:00: Meeting with a guide, covering the day and tomorrow.
10:00: Departure (Lunch packed in a backpack)
11:00: Departure to the mountains of Siglufjordur, our goal is to ski from the fjord over the mountains and back to Fljotin.
14:00: Arrival at Sóti Lodge – Packing
Cancellation policy & refund protocol
- 100 % refund if the trip is canceled due to disease control decisions or sickness connected to COVID-19
- 80 % refund if the trip is canceled with more than 7-day notice
- 50 % refund if the trip is canceled with more than 72-hour notice
- No refund if the trip is canceled with less than 72-hour notice
If the trip is canceled due to weather you have these options:
- Full refund
- Trip moved to another date
- The trip is changed to work with the weather